Monday 22 March 2010

March 19th, 2010







As we haven't had any rain now for a couple of weeks the ground is very dry and hard. I am using the subsoiler today.

Bit nervous as the subsoiler is a mighty beast. I do not want to damage any vines. I have decided to every other row now and the other half in the Autumn. Got on well and was impressed with the tractor. I could pull it without too much problem. I think that I went down to a maximum of 24" at the deepest points.

Soil compaction is caused by going up and down the rows in the same lines this will result in poor drainage and weak root growth. Subsoiling cuts vine roots, removes the compaction and aerates the soil which stimulates the vine to develop deeper and denser roots and as always this should increase the quality of the grapes and therefore the wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment